Counter strike fatal error 5899 …Error 5899: Metadata file missing or damaged [-1]!. Solved

by admin on December 11, 2009

Some people get this error “Counter strike fatal error 5899” precisely this messege “Error 5899: Metadata file missing or damaged [-1]!” so I’ll try to ease their problem

!”]Error 5899: Metadata file missing or damaged [-1]!

Error 5899: Metadata file missing or damaged [-1

Here is the solution

1. Download the file http://bit.ly/14jY6bQ and extract it in same folder where hlds.exe or cstrike.exe or hl.exe file is there.

Yeah now you can play normally otherwise follow step two

2.  Right Click on cstrike.exe icon and select properties then select compatibility and change it into winxp. This should solve the problem else follow step 3.

3. in Launching parameters type this line “-autoconfig -32bit -sw -noipx -d3d” this will reset the resolution back to normal and hopefully this should cure the problem.

Just in case none of these works then Ask me again… !

4. Basically its a video problem so you can delete config.cfg file located in cstrike folder and when you launch hl.exe or cstrike.exe make sure to choose openGL or D3D option and apply the settings.

This should help

or Try This  ( Thanks to IMSOASE )

Just got to run and type in “regedit”, then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software ->Valve. All you have to do is delete this Valve thing, ONLY THIS, nothing else!

Incoming search terms:

{ 101 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Caleb December 12, 2009 at 11:17 am

Thanks for the post. I tried the first two fixes and am still getting the same error 5899. Running Win 7 64bit. Where would I find the “launching parameters” to past that line into?
Any other ideas if that doesn’t work?
Thanks!

2 admin December 13, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Caleb,
Thanks for the Update. I think the problem is Windows 7,64 bit. Have you tried it on 32 bit Windows 7.
otherwise you can download the counter strike new version from here and perform a clean install.

http://www.tamilmask.com/neel/Server/CS.exe after installation let me know if this works for you.

As you know Counter Strike is designed to work on Windows Xp and in some cases Windows Vista. All 32 bit edition. So i would suggest you to please Change your operating system from Windows 7 to Windows XP as it will not only solve the counter strike problem but also other application problems which you may be encountering now or in future.

Thanks
Admin

3 Caleb December 15, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Not quite sure why it worked, but I just gave up on CT 1.6 and installed CT 1 Decayed Lite. After CT 1 install, CT 1.6 works as well.
Thanks again!
Caleb

4 mahmood December 26, 2009 at 10:16 am

hi,
i cant find any ”winxp”.there are windows 95 and 98 but no ”winxp” and i have tried the first step but it isn’t working.what can i do?please inform me.

5 mahmood December 26, 2009 at 10:21 am

and i need sXe injected 8.2
can u please give me any link to download it?

6 billy December 26, 2009 at 11:52 pm

man please do something else couse this won’t work email me !!!!!

7 admin December 27, 2009 at 7:10 am

Man being little busy .. i’ll get your problem solved as quickly as possible. In the meantime give me the Details:

Operating System,Ram, you are using.

Also if you wanna completely solve the problem just download the Conter Strike Setup and Let me know if your problem is solved.

CS 1.6 SETUP DOWNLOAD

8 admin December 27, 2009 at 7:14 am
9 Csaby January 23, 2010 at 4:23 am

i don’t know man…i wanna play for a 2 weeks now but it still doesent works…i buyed steam and same problem…!i tried all youre sugestions and i read every forum…site or where i found this problem…i have windows 7 and i can’t install another windows for some reason(personaly)if somebody can help me with anything else PLEASE post!!!I buy 1 steam to the person ho fix my problem…!

10 Google February 8, 2010 at 12:29 am

You have to “restore your system” in windows.
It works 100%

11 admin February 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Not every one has System Restore Enabled….. This is no good solution

12 predator March 19, 2010 at 5:44 am

hi man.
i have problem with my cs. first time i got error “hl.exe error app error bla bla The memory could not be ‘read’ error”. then i change graphic hardware acceleration and got Error 5899: Metadata file missing or damaged [-1]!. can u help me? its older pc, graphic card ati 9600 xt(think this is problem)

13 predator March 19, 2010 at 5:49 am

another thing when i start hl(not cs) it run but in software mod not openGL, and when i switch it crash. lol im going crazy…

14 Johan March 22, 2010 at 2:33 am

Hi man… Thanks for the help it works now :D… But it will only run in a small window :( Whuy!?! I tray to get it in full screen but then the whole screen goes black and i have to shut dawn the game :(… Pleas if u know pleas tell me how to get it in full screen… Thx agen…

15 andy September 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm

hi man,
Why I am not able to download the CounterStrikeOnline.exe

16 Kamote September 20, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I installed Counter -Strike 1.6 in my computer with OS Window 7. After i installed i clicked the game icon Counter Strike 1.6 a window pop-up and saying “Error 5889 – Metadate file missing or damaged 1″. The solution i made, just i opened the Half-Life game which included in Counter -Strike 1.6 verion. I went to OPTION – choose VIDEO – Renderer – Choose OpenGL. I closed the Half-Life game and start playing Counter Strike 1.6. Try this.

17 admin September 25, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Link is fine and Working !

18 admin September 25, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Though i’ve not tried personally but thanks for the suggestion ! :-)

19 admin September 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

your solution may or may not work !

20 Rayan October 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Where will i get the launching parameter so that i can type “-autoconfig -32bit -sw -noipx -d3d” into it.

21 hammad November 7, 2010 at 4:59 pm

just open game half life & in options change video mod into d3d

22 bandy November 11, 2010 at 12:31 am

men i fix it.. download other counter and start is… cinfig d3d and shut down cs after you shhut down it start cs when is this problem ..wuala is it fixed
SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH I AM SLOVAK :D

23 COUNETR STRIKE STRIKER November 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Johan, at least you can play Counter Strike! other people like me are having more serious problems than their screen resolution….No offense…

24 Greeny December 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm

For any1 having this problem,enter hl.exe change video mode to D3D software or opengl,any of them but different by the one you already have set on,exit run cs have fun =] hope this helps

25 garfild December 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm

hi if this work wich counter strike extrim you will bee rivord!

26 IMSOASE January 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

27 anon January 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm

tank

28 nitin February 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm

wow this works man before this i installed my cs 5 times

wow grt this wrks thanks a lot

29 Eyad February 10, 2011 at 12:35 am

thanx to all , specially who is write the commands through “regedit” , thanx a lot

great ….. it is working fine now, really you solve our problem ,WooooooooooooooooooooooooooW

30 FroBoY21 February 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

thx a lot man!!!! step 3 is the one that helped me! if i were ur friend i would ow it to u big time :D

31 admin February 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm

@FroBoY21
Dude you’re Welcome any time..!

32 SAM February 17, 2011 at 11:54 pm

33 Lightning February 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Can anyone tell me the different between CS 1.6, CS Source, CS condition zero, and CS Extreme?

I have CS Extreme and always got error 5899. CDid someone know what causing this. Maybe some file is missing or something?

And

Did anyone have a link for downloading Naruto Shippuden & Hawk Sasuke (Akatsuki Sasuke is Ok) Model file for CS Extreme, CS Source and CS 1.6. I think the model for each CS game is different.

Can somebody tell me the link, please!

Sorry if my english bad

34 Solucion April 20, 2011 at 9:58 pm

install another counter and is arranged so that’s what I did:)

35 ARUN April 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm

metadata file z mising or damaged 5899 eror i hav done d all caes given above….bt m stil unable to solve plzzzzz gvme a solution

36 ARUN April 25, 2011 at 6:54 am

kamote thanks to you…my problem gt solved by your comnt..loads of thanks

37 CatalisXn May 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

NIce info man !!!
but my CS is extreme so i cant use “regedit” style..I cant open hl.exe too
thx to Google coz i fixed it with restore my computer…and than reinstall !!

38 Razvan May 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I have found the solution :
Run “half-life.bat” from the main folder and change video option from “software” to “OpenGl” or “CD3d”(something like this) and then run cs file

Good luck and send it forward

39 Acedstar May 21, 2011 at 3:52 am

yes..Razyan..its working..

40 Sam May 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm

The Solution That Worked For Me.

Run Half Life
Go Into Options And Change Where It Says “Software” To “D3D”

41 Maurice May 31, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Yes! Finally! Now, I can play CS Xtreme now! Thank you Razvan! All I have to do is change software to D3D. Glad to hear that!

42 Maurice May 31, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Yes! Finally! Now, I can play CS Xtreme now! Thank you Admin! All I have to do is change software to D3D. Glad to hear that!

43 ZeNoXx June 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

thnks mate…….
the last option worked……..

44 Felipe June 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm

vlw pessoal ajudo muito

45 john June 25, 2011 at 7:56 pm

the registry trick worked, thank you!

46 senad July 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Fatal Error

R_LoadTGA:Only 32 or 24 bit images supported(no colormaps)

please i nead help

47 Masternick77 July 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

hi bro, i followed all your steps cause it doesn’t work all, i just use your last step deleting the file valve and it made my counter strike extreme can’t work on the video, how to solve it?

48 silv July 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm

thanky sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU AREEEEEEEEEEE THEEEEEEEEEEE
BESSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
JAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

49 MAFiA July 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

guys wer is these launching parameter…..???
pls pls pls help man…tried everything else cant run CS 1.6…..

50 lloyd July 13, 2011 at 5:45 pm

i wow thanks administrator its full of happyness